This healthy ground turkey sweet potato skillet is a 20 minute meal that you can truly customize to fit your mood or preferences. This dish marries the sweetness of the roasted sweet potatoes with southwestern spices to create a robust flavor that is sure to please.
The beautiful thing about this simple dish is the flexibility of it. I originally created it as an easy bowl meal to incorporate all three macros (carbs, fat, and protein), but then it morphed into some of the best tacos I have ever had! You can do so many things with this dish!
Ingredients for this Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet
Here is what you need to make this easy meal:
- Ground turkey
- Sweet potatoes
- Black beans
- Avocado oil
- Minced garlic
- Chili powder
- Smoked paprika
- Kosher salt
- Cilantro (optional)
How to make it
First step to this meal is to chop and roast your sweet potatoes. If you are in a real time pinch, grab some pre-chopped sweet potatoes from the store.
Toss your chopped sweet potatoes with half the avocado oil, half the lime, juiced and salt and pepper. You can roast these in the over or use an air fryer. I usually use my air fryer, but either way works beautifully.
Now, it's time to cook the turkey.
While your sweet potatoes are roasting, go ahead and heat the remaining oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add your chopped onions to the oil and cook for about 3 minutes. When the onions begin to turn translucent, add the ground turkey to the skillet and cook until no longer pink.
When turkey is cooked, add in the spices and beans to the cooked turkey and onions. Stir to combine well.
When sweet potatoes are nice and roasted, add those to the skillet with the turkey and onions, and give it a good stir to combine everything nicely. Lastly, juice the remaining half of lime over the skillet, and stir.
Ways to serve this Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet
A simple bowl meal - this combination of ingredients serves you a healthy bowl full of nutritious carbs, fat and proteins. This dish is perfect as is!
Tacos - my favorite was to eat this dish is in corn tortillas topped with a southwestern flavored sauce. SO GOOD!
Over greens - this dish is perfect to enjoy over you favorite bed of greens. Top it with your favorite sauce or dressing and boom, an easy and delish way to pack in more greens!
Over rice or quinoa - a great way to boost those healthy carbs and fiber is to enjoy this dish over rice or quinoa.
Need more easy and healthy bowl meal ideas!? Check these out!
Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 lime, juiced (divided)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil, divided
- 1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- ½ cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven OR air fryer to 425°
- If using the oven, line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine ½ tablespoon avocado oil, lime juice, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper in large bowl.1 tablespoon avocado oil, divided, 1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided, 1 teaspoon pepper, divided, 1 lime, juiced (divided)
- Toss diced sweet potatoes with mixture in the mixing bowl, and stir to coat evenly.2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- Place coated sweet potatoes on lined baking sheet if using the oven.
- Place sweet potatoes in pre-heated oven OR air fryer.
- Bake OR air fry for 20-25 minutes, until tender and slightly browned.
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting, heat remaining ½ tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium heat.1 tablespoon avocado oil, divided, 1 onion, chopped
- Cook onions for about 3 minutes until turning slightly translucent, then add in the ground turkey to the skillet.2 pounds ground turkey
- Cook the turkey and onions until turkey is no longer pink.
- Add spices and beans to the turkey and onion mixture, and stir to combine well.1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided, 1 teaspoon pepper, divided, ½ cup black beans, drained and rinsed, 2 teaspoons minced garlic, 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder, 1 ½ teaspoons cumin, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon oregano
- Add roasted sweet potatoes to the pan with turkey, stir to combine.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro (if desired) and serve!¼ cup cilantro, chopped (optional)